Sunday, December 13, 2015

Body Sculpture Happenings

Final Project for 3-D Design

Kimmy's Protest Boots-"THUGGS"


Using one or more of the materials listed we had to design a 3-D sculpture worn on the body that had some sort of a "happening" occur.
I chose to use: 

Cardboard
Paper
Fabric
Tape 
thread
Oak wood (for the soles of my "Thuggs")


I created a pair of "Protest Boots" that includes all the things I protest about in life, with the biggest protest being against terrorism, namely ISIS. I had pictures of 9-11, Vietnam, Racism, all wars in general, words like, "Atomic", and "Lonely", "Killing, "Hate", "Aging", slogans, like, "Not Cool", anti-government, child molesters, etc., all cut out from magazines and made into a collage. I used the collage to become a part of the fabric to make the boot.

I initially carved the soles out of pressboard, backwards,  and had to redo them. Don't make that mistake! It has to be a mirror image in order to stamp legibly. 


This was my first attempt
at carving into the press board.
I went into our Art Dept. wood shop and
learned how to use a few saws and
the sander. It was so fun!
It was when I got this point into my carving,
I realized 
I had to create the mirror
image, and begin again.                   















To begin again. . . 

















                      
With the Oak, I had to break
down and buy a Dremmel to
carve it. Oak is a very tough wood
and time was of the essence.
I found it very meditating,
 actually                    
      





Patterns for my boots,
 all cut.             
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   




                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             


 

I then searched for my "proteststhrough different magazines pictures, 
and words, cutting and assembling
them into a 
big collage, then I glued
it all down onto a paper backing.


Once it dried, I cut the finished
collage to size, 
to fit
inside
4"x 6", clear plastic envelopes.
(I did this so the protests could be switched out easily,
You never know what I'll be protesting tomorrow)
I taped the collage envelopes
back together in their original order
and then, placed it in between layers
of doubled-up, clear vinyl fabric.

I cut out my pattern pieces from my vinyl collage fabric, 
and added a white wooly fabric to the inside
for my boot lining. I assembled all those pieces
together, sewing them with transparent thread to,
and clear tape to form the actual boots. 
I then glued and stapled the finished boot onto my
carved wooden soles.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Almost Done! Just have to add my laces!
They are SO warm and comfy




























"STAMP OUT ISIS" Kimmy's Protest Boots Finished Product

PLEASE, click on the link below to see my video of this "Happening"

THUGGS gotta go!

http://youtu.be/tiawpFtkZBE













No comments:

Post a Comment