Monday, November 9, 2015



Response to Yoko Ono’s, “Cut Piece”


I have seen Yoko Ono’s performance art video several times before, and each time I look at it, I get a different response. This time I was judging each participant when they approached Yoko. They became an added feature to this free-standing sculpture. Yoko is the free-standing (or sitting, in this case) living sculpture and each participant seems to add a new living visual to the experience.
As the pieces of her fabric are slowly cut away, I thought about my soap carving assignment…the adding and subtracting we had to do to it to make it change.
It also makes me think about,  how we all cut away pieces of art in this life and add to it. How we all take our chosen little “Cut Piece” and make it our very own.  Some of us are even willing to be exposed!
What lies underneath?
Art is always being judged, and so are we.  Let the truth be known, Yoko was always being judged too.
 The man who creepily cut the pieces off the majority of Yoko’s bra was being judged. The hisses, the laughter…not, just me, others were judging him too, and some were enjoying his addition to the sculpture, as he was subtracting from it it...  I heard somebody yell out in the video, asking the creeper, “Aren't you getting a little carried away?”

Yoko’s performance this time seemed to envelope a light and a dark side to it, depending on the stage it was in while it was being formed and reformed. Each new participant added another work to the art, as it cut away from her art.
Have you ever imagined if a statue was to turn into a living human being? I’m wondering what it might say . . .  how it might have felt to be totally formed by someone else.

I believe, if we're going to cut into art, or take something from it, we must make sure we make every step shine. . .  and always give back!  In our own way, as we chip away, as we make our cuts and mold our art it into our own, we must appreciate and take in all considerations, and always get carried away, but only if you're sure you're heading in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment